Welcome to my Blog

I am pleased to welcome you to my blog and though I am a complete novice when it comes to blogging I am excited by the possibilities it presents and look forward to showing you my work, the work that some of my students produce and to answering any questions you may have about aspects of the work, techniques used or just discussing painting and drawing.

Tuesday 18 March 2014

The Beauty Of Gouache

What Is Gouache?

The question I am most frequently about Gouache is what is it? The short answer is that it is posh poster paint or opaque watercolour is made using pigment and gum Arabic. The pigments used are very high quality and the result is a strong level of opacity with a soft, matt finish, it is not suited to delicate transparent washes as you can achieve in watercolour. So what about painting with Gouache? I hear you ask... It is great for working from dark to light with many subtle attributes which can be employed and has a delightful soft surface and as it is opaque and matt makes it a terrific medium for reproducing whether it be scanned or photographed. I will be running some Gouache workshops in the near future so if you are interested drop me an e-mail and I'll keep you informed, in the meantime here are a few Gouache paintings, I especially like working on the black paper, it makes bright colours seem even more vibrant.

Kingfisher on heavy black paper
Driving Home For Christmas

Ann Hathaway's Cottage
 

No comments:

Post a Comment