Welcome to my Blog

I am pleased to welcome you to my blog and though I am a complete novice when it comes to blogging I am excited by the possibilities it presents and look forward to showing you my work, the work that some of my students produce and to answering any questions you may have about aspects of the work, techniques used or just discussing painting and drawing.

Monday 19 January 2015

My Current Project

The Western Yar from Yarmouth Bridge


Stage I

This is a medium grained stretched cotton canvas with the initial drawing sketched in with a minimum of detail, in fact the drawing of the masts is for your benefit now as I will just paint over them when putting in the water but it gives you an early idea of the composition which I suppose technically is best described as an 'S' or 'Z' composition, note the line of moored yachts leading in from the foreground and then sweeping around the middle distance and I will use a few artistic tricks to lead back across the distance and into the sky from right to left. The next stage is to put an acrylic wash over the whole canvas to kill the white, seal the graphite pencil lines and make tonal value judgement easier, or at least, less deceptive, tonal value can be easily misjudged on a stark white ground (the bare, white primed canvas). It is difficult to erase errors in the drawing on a canvas texture so I shall simply paint over them; I have adjusted the height of some of the mooring posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment