Welcome to my Blog

I am pleased to welcome you to my blog and though I am a complete novice when it comes to blogging I am excited by the possibilities it presents and look forward to showing you my work, the work that some of my students produce and to answering any questions you may have about aspects of the work, techniques used or just discussing painting and drawing.

Tuesday 6 August 2013

'Porlock Weir' (800 x 600) A Painting In Artisan Water Mixable Oils

It was great to meet friends old and new at the Open Studios weekend and here is the painting that I was working on over the last two days of the event. I was at Yarmouth Town Hall last Sunday exhibiting with Ann Greenhill my friend of many years and worked on it on the pavement outside. the stage to which I have currently brought it. The colours on the picture below are more accurate though far from perfect. The first stage of the painting was to draw the main parts of the composition though much simplified as a lot of the detail would be lost in the painting and in fact the detail is put in with the brush.

The next job was to give the canvas a watered down coat of Raw Sienna acrylic which sealed the pencil lines and killed the white of the canvas making tonal value and colour choice easier. I then drew the major lines back in with a wash of Cobalt Blue acrylic. Next I start with the oils and the painting of the sky which I kept simple as the rest of the scene is complex. Next is the painting of the distant tree clad hillside in shades of pale blue/green which pushes the hill into the distance (aerial perspective). I then paint in the middle distant tree covered hill which forms the backdrop for the buildings. Continuing my method of painting from the distance to the foreground I paint in the buildings, sea walls and boats. I have a fair bit left to do but the most difficult part is almost complete then it's on to the foreground... I will post another photograph when I have completed the middle ground. The water and reflections will be good fun and I look forward that stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment